Tuesday 13 May 2014

Ferdinand leaves United

Rio Ferdinand has made the decision
to leave Manchester United this
summer after 12 years at Old
Trafford.
Ferdinand made 455 appearances for
United, winning six Premier League
titles, the 2008 UEFA Champions
League and FIFA Club World Cup, two
League Cups and five Charity/
Community Shields.
But his playing time had been
reduced over the last couple of
seasons because of injury and the
emergence of Phil Jones, Chris
Smalling and Jonny Evans.
His contract was due to expire at the
end of the season and the decision
has been made not to extend it.
"I have thought long and hard over
the last few months about my future
and, after 12 fantastic years playing
for what I regard as the best club in
the world, I have decided the time is
right for me to move on," Ferdinand
said.
"I joined Manchester United in the
hope of winning trophies, and never
in my wildest dreams could I have
imagined how successful we would be
during my time here.
"There have been so many highlights,
playing alongside some great players
who have become good friends,
winning my first Premier League title
and also that fantastic night in
Moscow are memories that I will
cherish forever.
"Circumstances didn't allow for me to
say goodbye the way I would have
liked but I'd like to take this
opportunity to thank my team-mates,
staff, the club and the fans for an
unbelievable 12 years that I'll never
forget. Winning trophies I dreamed
about as a kid came true at this great
club.
"I am feeling fit and healthy, ready
for a new challenge and looking
forward to whatever the future holds
for me."
Former Manchester United striker
Dwight Yorke described Ferdinand as
"colossal".
Yorke told Sky Sports: "The word
colossal comes into play as that's the
type of player that Ferdinand was.
"It doesn't come as a surprise but
it's an end of an era for himself and
Nemanja Vidic - it's unbelievable the
amount of success they've had.
"Rio can leave that football club with
his head held incredibly high in
terms of what he has achieved."
The decision to let Ferdinand go
ignores the advice of interim manager
Ryan Giggs, who insisted earlier this
month the defender could still make
a useful contribution and should be
offered a new deal.
Former Reds defender Gary Neville
appeared to question the move when
he wrote on Twitter: "So it looks like
Rio and Vida allowed to leave at
once!!! A conveyor belt has become a
cliff!"
There were no hard feelings, however,
as United said on their official
Twitter account: "£mufc would like to
thank Rio Ferdinand for his long and
distinguished service, and wish him
well for the future."

0 comments:

TRENDING THIS WEEK

SPORTS