Friday 16 May 2014

'Now all of them love me' - Boateng revels in return to Ghana fold

The Schalke midfielder says he has
made peace with the "critical"
Ghanaian press and plans to build a
school in his father’s hometown of
Kumasi to "get closer to the people"
Schalke midfielder Kevin-Prince
Boateng believes that he has
mended the strained relationship
between him and Ghana following
his controversial international
retirement in 2011.
Boateng was an instant hero in
Ghana following his exploits in the
2020 World Cup - including a goal
against USA - but the nation felt a
sense of betrayal when he failed to
turn up for subsequent international
games on perceived health grounds
before bowing out of the team three
years ago.
The Germany-born player reversed
his decision to retire in 2013 just in
time for another World Cup and,
with a goal in his comeback game
against Egypt in the playoff to reach
Brazil, he believes he has won back
the hearts of the country.
"It was critically spoken of," the 27-
year-old told Goal of his retirement.
"The press in Ghana is even worse
than in Germany. They are very
critical but after my goal in Egypt I
was hailed, and now all of them love
me. Now the World Cup is here, they
know they need me and that's why
we are an amorous couple again."
Touching on his return to the Black
Stars set-up, he said: "I was received
very well. I made a lot of calls with
Asamoah Gyan, our skipper, our
coach, our president. They all said
they waited for my return. They were
all glad and happy that I am back
again."
The former AC Milan midfielder also
spoke about his plans to build a
school in Kumasi - Ghana's second-
largest city and his father's home
town - in order to strengthen the
bond with the local support.
"I have my family there, from my
father's side. I am on the phone
with my uncle regularly. I want to
build a school in the area where my
father has been born in Kumasi. I
am doing that all alone with my
fiancee. I am trying to get closer [to
the people]," he explained.
"People are happy in Ghana. That's
what always astonishes me, there
are a lot of people that don't have
much but are happy nevertheless.
It's just nice to see how the people
are dancing on the streets, how they
celebrate. They are just always
happy.
"If you walk around in Germany you
see people with their heads down,
though they are so rich, not only in
terms of money but in terms of
everything. And then you see the
people in Ghana and see that they
are happy."
The Ghana international is part of
the provisional 26-man squad named
by coach Kwesi Appiah for the World
Cup this summer.

0 comments:

TRENDING THIS WEEK

SPORTS