Friday 20 June 2014

Yemi Alade: Nigeria music stagnating?? Read here

Yemi Alade
She is popularly referred to as the
ghen ghen babe. Others call her the
Yoruba-ibo girl. She poses charming
beauty few can resist and that
combined with her electrifying stage
craft, Yemi Alade, the new talk-about
Nigerian singer stands tall as
Africa’s next big thing.
Her music is edgy and her unique
style evolving around an African
theme gives her an edge above all.
Her bi-tribal descent completes her
winning formula.
With her latest release Johnny
dominating music charts across
Africa besides turning into a club hit
in urban Kenya, the rather sassy but
humble 1989 born has her career
firmly focused, and here she comes
to Nairobi, with such a demand from
fans building and so, with
determination to prove that the buzz
is not just a fluke.
Local fans do like Yemi’s new hit,
Johnny but very little is known
about this fresh music dynamite.
“I begun making music
professionally in 2005 when I was
the lead of a girl group called Noty
Spices. Afterwards, I entered the
Peak Talent Show in 2009 and went
on to win the competition. That is
how it all started,” she reveals.
“It was after this when a released
my debut single Fimisile, featuring
eLDee and the song became a radio
hit. That introduced me to my fans
and since, I have never looked back,”
the gorgeous talented star remarks.
The young star — who grew up
listening to popular music of the
late eighties and early nineties by
singers like Mariah Carey, Whitney
Houston, Etta James and Aretha
Franklin — earned the, that Yoruba-
Ibo girl moniker as her mother is a
native of South-Eastern Nigeria and
her father is of South-Western
descent.
“I am the fifth of seven siblings; four
brothers and two sisters. I have
practically lived my life on stage,”
the University of Lagos Bachelor in
Science degree holder notes.
Her professional music career took
off on a high after she signed a deal
with Effyzzie Music Group in 2012. It
was here where she started working
with hit producers DJ Klem, D’tunes,
E-Kelly, Sizzle Pro, Fliptyce and
renowned South African producer
Garth.
“My single Ghen Ghen Love was
received well, topping numerous
radio and video charts,” Yemi notes
adding that she has since done
massive collaborations with Ice
Prince and Sasha P, both celebrated
Nigerian stars.
“I have since shared the stage with
top artistes from across the globe,”
she says.
After releasing the music video for
Johnny in March this year, the video
received critical acclaim gaining over
800,000 YouTube views in two
months.
The single has since become a
continental anthem gaining her a
massive following in Kenya, Tanzania,
Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda
and Zimbabwe.
“My new single is titled Tangerine
and it features Selebobo. It is
quickly gaining momentum across
Africa and I am happy with the way
fans have accepted and embraced
me.

image

0 comments:

TRENDING THIS WEEK

SPORTS